Ralph H. Sturgeon Papers: American Poultry Historical Society PapersIntroduction
This collection consists of correspondence, clippings and photographs documenting professional activities and accomplishments of Ralph Sturgeon, of Bellevue, Ohio, a hatcheryman and breeder of Barred and White Plymouth Rock chickens and bantams and judge for the American Poultry Association. One of the photographs depict Col. Harlan Sanders and Mr. Sturgeon along with the Kentucky Fried Chicken award for "Best of Show" White Plymouth Rock at the 1964 Ohio State Fair. One of the letters, dated February 19, 1974, is from President Nixon. The collection also contains several issues of Poultry Press newspaper and poultry supply catalogs published between 1926 and 1973. Poultry judging materials from the American Poultry Association from years 1917 to 1986 are also included.
NAL CALL NO: SF487.8 O3S88 R
Special Collections of the National Agricultural Library (NAL) acquires, arranges, describes, preserves and makes available rare materials significant to the history of agriculture. Materials are obtained through donation or active collection in accordance with the established Special Collections collection development policy. Special Collections staff organize and describe materials according to archival principles and create descriptions and indexes to enhance access. Staff do not edit or otherwise modify the original materials. The views expressed in the collections do not necessarily reflect the policies of the National Agricultural Library or the United States Department of Agriculture.
Box 1 of 4
- Poultry Press newspapers-1926, 1935, 1937-38, 1944, 1948-49, and 1973.
- Personal Letters, chick orders and clippings, 1917-80.
- Letters, Certificates, Clippings, Post Cards, 1923-88.
- Photographs with Col. Sanders(1964)(Kentucky Fried Chicken) and others, 1954-86.
Box 2 of 4
- Correspondence, orders, records and clippings, 1945-78.
- Personal Correspondence, 1971-86.
- Personal correspondence, orders, and newspaper clippings on personal accomplishments. Information about the American Poultry Association, Barred Plymouth Rocks and general poultry items, 1924-78.
Box 3 of 4
- Personal Correspondence, Orders, Judging Material from the American Poultry Association, newspaper clippings, catalogs, 1946-88.
- Clippings on personal accomplishments, orders for baby chicks and poultry in general, 1954-88.
- Scrap Book of Clippings, Photographs, etc., 1931-57.
Box 4 of 4
- Poultry Press newspapers; issues from 1939-41.